Friday, October 3, 2008

Lesson learned from Cross Country



It has been an incredilble season for cross country! the weather has been wonderful and our kids are running with great times. I am even amazed every meet how well they do and how much they improve. Last week was the Blackfoot meet (BRAG MOMENT) Middle school races are 1.5 miles. Kenz ran a 11:15 and Keslie ran 11:21. Kolton ran a 3mile with a time of 18:16. This week we were in Arco...and wow what a city! dirt and sagebrush. This was one of the hardest courses I have ever seen, I think I would have stopped and cried. They all had to run up a large steep hill that was a dirt trail in 80 degree weather. Kelsie had a hard race due to dehydration but still finished with a great time for 2 miles. Kenzie had determination in her yesterday and wanted to do good. the last 1/2 mile she started sprinting and did not look back and placed in the top ten. All the BHS varsity boys ran so good they took 2nd, which keeps them in the running for State.
I am sad to see the season come to an end, it has brought such closeness with my children and for us as a family. The sibling bond has become so strong and it is so wonderful to see the friendship grow. Determination is one of those great lesson we have learned this season. Cross country is a very individual sport and even though you train with a team the races become your own. I have seen all three kids dig deep down inside them to finish the race or beat a time. Sometimes you cross the finish line with your best time and a great smile, other times you cross barely standing feeling like you are going to die. I have watched all three kids experience this and each time I get a little teary. (because I cry at everything) I am thankful for the lessons learned from cross country.
I have to admit I have also learned great lessons from cross country....forgiveness......(some of you know the assistant coach) This year I have learned to forgive and forget....Thankful for the lessons learned in cross country.

2 comments:

J-Babe said...

Your right cross country is such an individual sport, but it sure makes it a lot more enjoyable when you are on a team working towards the same cause. I think it is really awesome how athletic your kids are and that they seem to really get a long and enjoy spending time with one another. Usually it seems that family members are too competitive with one another to enjoy it. I' am glad that is not the case with you guys!
Also, your pictures turned out way cute. Your photographer has a lot of fun styles and they are unique. Hopefully we will be up there soon to see you guys!

Steve Williams said...

I agree. I enjoyed my cross country years. I had a lot of fun. Refreshing for me because it was not as "serious" as the other sports I was in. We all ran our guts out and enjoyed each othes company.